Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Falwell is dead. Long live Falwell.

It is tempting to give Jerry Falwell the same amount of respect in death that he gave to others--i.e., none. It is probably impossible to keep snide comments from slipping in throughout anything I say or write about him. But I say this with no particular malice or disdain, but rather as an observation I have made based on reality as I see it:

Jerry Falwell was a truly terrible, dangerous man, and the world is no better off now that he is gone.

Jerry Falwell did not create bigotry or intolerance, nor was he the first to turn Christianity from a religion of peace to one of war. He was just a spokesman, enabled by all of those who gave him a forum from which to spit venom. There is any number of similar hacks lined up to take his place, if those who would provide them that same forum will let them. If anything, Jerry Falwell was the scorpion:
A scorpion and a frog meet on the bank of a stream and the scorpion asks the frog to carry him across on its back. The frog asks, "How do I know you won't sting me?" The scorpion says, "Because if I do, I will die too." The frog is satisfied, and they set out, but in midstream, the scorpion stings the frog. The frog feels the onset of paralysis and starts to sink, knowing they both will drown, but has just enough time to gasp "Why?" Replies the scorpion: "Its my nature..."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't like that story at ALL. Poor froggie.

Anonymous said...

I'm burnt out on the blogosphere of liberals celebrating his death. That is so wrong, no matter who it is. I may not agree with other philosophies, but I'm not dancing on people's graves. Thank you for NOT taking that route to the extreme.